Baek, Sung Hee
We will study epigenetic diseases, investigate causality of the relationship between the epigenetic code and diseases, perform epigenetic drug screenings for therapeutic applications, and validate the efficacy and toxicity of the drug. We will initiate new challenging projects to identify novel epigenetic code and regulators and determine their in vivo functions using mouse models. The results will be integrated at the epigenomic, transcriptomic, and proteomic level. Big data and deep-learning will be applied for multidisciplinary research.
- Specific Aim 1: To understand the roles of the epigenetic code in homeostasis and molecular mechanisms of its perturbations leading to epigenetic diseases
- Specific Aim 2: To understand the roles of the epigenetic code in regulation and molecular mechanisms of cancers, autophagy and inflammation
- Specific Aim 3: To identify novel epigenetic regulators and determine their physiological and pathological functions using mouse models
- Specific Aim 4: To chart a functional 3D map of epigenetic diseases and develop ‘Epigenetic diseases-on-a-chip’ to perform screening of epigenetic drugs for range of therapeutic applications
- Shin, H-J., Kim H.K., Oh, S.R., Lee, J-G., Kee, M.J., Ko, H-J., Kweon, M-N., Won, K.J., and Baek, S.H. (2016)
AMPK-Skp2-CARM1 Signaling Cascade in Transcriptional Regulation of Autophagy. Nature 534(7608), 553–557.
- Nam, H.J., Boo, K.J., Kim, D.H., Han, D.H., Choe, H.K., Kim, C.R., Sun, W., Kim, H., Kim, K.J., Lee, H., Metzger, E., Schuele, R., Yoo, S.H., Takahashi, J.S., Cho, S.H., Son, G.H., and Baek, S.H. (2014) Phosphorylation of LSD1 by PKCα Is Crucial for Circadian Rhythmicity and Phase Resetting. Molecular Cell 53(5), 791-805. (Cover Article)
- Lee, J.M., Lee, J.S., Kim, H.K., Kim, K.K., Park, H.J., Kim, J.-Y., Lee, S.H., Kim, I.S., Kim, J.M., Lee, M.K., Chung, C.H., Seo, S.-B., Yoon, J.-B., Ko, E.Y., Noh, D.-Y., Kim, K.I., Kim, K.K., and Baek, S.H. (2012) EZH2 Generates a Methyl Degron That Is Recognized by the DCAF1/DDB1/CUL4 E3 Ubiquitin Ligase Complex.
Molecular Cell 48(4), 572-586. (Cover Article)
- Kim, H., Lee, J.M., Lee, G., Bhin, J., Oh, S.K., Kim, K., Pyo, K.E., Lee, J.S., Yim, H.Y., Kim, K.I., Hwang, D., Chung, J., and Baek, S.H. (2011) DNA Damage-Induced RORα is Crucial for p53 Stabilization and Increased Apoptosis.
Molecular Cell 44(5), 797-810. (Cover Article)
- Lee, J. S., Kim, Y., Kim, I.S., Kim, B., Choi, H.J., Lee, J.M., Shin, H-J. R., Kim, J.H., Kim, J.-Y., Seo, S.-B., Lee, H., Binda, O., Gozani, O., Semenza, G.L., Kim, M., Kim, K.I., Hwang, D.H., and Baek, S.H. (2010) Negative Regulation of Hypoxic Responses via Induced Reptin Methylation. Molecular Cell 39(1), 71-85. (Cover Article)
- Kim, J.H., Kim, B., Ling, C., Choi, H.J., Ohgi, K.A., Tran, C, Chen, C., Chung, C.H., Huber, O., Rose, D.W., Sawyers, C.L., Rosenfeld, M.G., and Baek, S.H. (2005) Transcriptional Regulation of a Metastasis Suppressor Gene by Tip60 and β-Catenin Complexes. Nature 434(7035), 921-926.