이지영 Lee, Ji-Young
The direction of research of the lab is related with my path of training, which integrated plant development, gene regulation, and evolution.
Among many interesting topics in plant development, the lab is set up to address key qestions in development of plant vascular system. I chose the vascular system because it constitutes major plant biomass and grows itself by adding cells doubled from a distinctive meristematic cell population, procambium/cambium. This stem cell population constantly undergoes cell divisions and cell fate determination, and thereby enables indeterminate plant growth.
Current research topics are as follows:
1. Investigation of the cell-to-cell movement of transcription factors that governs the patterning of xylem and phloem in Arabidopsis root and their molecular function
2. Unraveling gene regulatory networks in the vascular stem cells, which are responsible for cell proliferation and cell type specification during the radial growth
3. Genome-wide search to find gene lesions involved in agronomically important traits of a root crop
- Hyoujin Kim*, Jing Zhou*, Deepak Kumar, Geupil Jang, Kook Hui Ryu, Jose Sebastian, Shunsuke Miyashima, Ykä Helariutta, Ji-Young Lee§ (2020). SHORTROOT-Mediated Intercellular Signals Coordinate Phloem Development in Arabidopsis Roots. The Plant Cell, 32: (* equal contribution; § corresponding author).
- Jing Zhang, Gugan Eswaran, Juan Alonso-Serra, Melis Kucukoglu, Jiale Xiang, Weibing Yang, Annakaisa Elo, Kaisa Nieminen, Teddy Damén, Je-Gun Joung, Jae-Young Yun, Jung-Hun Lee, Laura Ragni, Pierre Barbier de Reuille, Sebastian Ahnert, Ji-Young Lee§, Ari Pekka Mähönen§, and Ykä Helariutta§ (2019). Transcriptional regulatory framework for vascular cambium development in Arabidopsis roots. Nature Plants, 5: 1033-1042.
- Jose Sebastian, Kook-Hui Ryu, Jing Zhou, Danuse Tarkowska, PetrTarkowski, Young-Hee Cho, Sang-Dong Yoo, Eun-Sol Kim, Ji-Young Lee§ (2015). PHABULOSA Controls the Quiescent Center-independent Root Meristem Activities in Arabidopsis thaliana. PLOS Genetics, 11: e1004973.
- Annelie Carlsbecker*, Ji-Young Lee*, Christina J. Roberts, Jan Dettmer, Satu Lehesranta, Jing Zhou, Ove Lindgren, Miguel Moreno, Anne Vatén, Siripong Thitamadee, Ana Campilho, Jose Sebastian, John L. Bowman, Yka Helariutta*§, Philip N. Benfey*§ (2010). Cell signalling by microRNA165/6 directs gene dose dependent root cell fate. Nature 465: 316-321.
- Ji-Young Lee, Juliette Colinas, Jean Y. Wang, Daniel Mace, Uwe Ohler, Philip N. Benfey§ (2006). Transcriptional and posttranscriptional regulation of transcription factor expression in Arabidopsis roots. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 103: 6055-6060.
- Ji-Young Lee, Klaus Mummenhoff, John L. Bowman§ (2002) Allopolyploidization and evolution of species with reduced floral structures in Lepidium L. (Brassicaceae). Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 99: 16835-16840.