Leave of absence
- If you wish to take a leave of absence on grounds of serious personal circumstance, you need to file an application and receive a permission during the specified time period for each semester. No more than one full year can be approved at a time.
- Possible reasons for leave of absence & Required documents
Type Application Deadline Required Documents Description Voluntary leave of absence - After registration : Within the first half of the semester
- Before registration : Between the end of semester and registration period
A copy of completed request form for leave of absence (save and print) Go to the SNU portal MySNU to fill out and submit the request form (cancel enrollment for current semester) Medical leave After the end of the first half of semester and before the end of semester - A copy of leave of absence request (save and print)
- A copy of medical certificate (at least four weeks to heal completely)
A medical certificate issued by a director of a general hospital (cancel enrollment for current semester) Military enlistment Enlist before the end of semester Starting from two weeks ahead of enlistment until the end of semester - A copy of leave of absence request (save and print)
- The original copy of enlistment notice
※ Those who enlisted in professional soldier system should submit a service verification form within a week of enlistment
(Cancel enrollment for current semester) Enlist after the end of semester Anytime after the end of the semester (Cancel the enrollment for the following semester) Academic credit and grades will be accepted (You may not cancel your classes for the semester)Leave of absence request by freshmen : apply after the first day of school (March 1st or September 1st)
- Total number of leave terms requested
Undergraduate 6terms Graduate 4terms Doctoral 6terms Combined Master’s and Doctoral 8termsYou may not exceed the above number of leave terms, otherwise you may be expelled from school. However, the number of terms during which the student is under military enlistment will not be counted. The following term(s) after the termination of enlistment will not be considered as military enlistment leave of absence.
- Number of leave terms allowed at a time
Within two semesters (does not apply to military enlistment leave of absence)You may submit another leave of absence request after the end of second leave term to extend the leave of absence.★ If you fail to submit a returning-to-school form or another leave of absence request, you may be expelled from school.
- Procedure for leave of absence request
Log onto SNU homepage (SNU portal web site) → Log onto Leave of absence / Returning to school → Fill out leave of absence request form and saveIn the case of maternity / paternity leave or military enlistment: print leave of absence request form → submit to the director of your college (along with required documentations)★ If you fail to submit required documentations, your request for leave of absence may be cancelled.
If you request for leave of absence during the semester, your class enrollment for the term will be automatically cancelled without a notice.
- Payment of registration fee
If you leave before paying the registration fee
- You will be exempt from payment if you submit a request for leave of absence and receive a permission prior to the deadline for registration fee payment.If you leave after paying the registration fee
- If you receive a permission after payment, the money will be automatically retained until you return to school unless you exceed the number of terms allowed for leave of absence.1. A person who enlisted for military service during leave of absence should submit a service verification form to the department your major belongs to within the first six months of service via the administration office. (Convert to military enlistment leave of absence).
2. Grades: If you request for leave of absence during the semester, your class enrollment for the term will be automatically cancelled without a notice. However, the grades will be approved if you submit the request for military enlistment leave of absence after the end of semester.
Returning to school
- A student who wishes to return to school during leave of absence should submit a returning-to-school application, receive a permission, and subsequently follow the registration procedure.
- Reasons for returning to school & Required documentations
Type Application Deadline Required documents Description General Apply between the end of previous semester and before the beginning of following semester
(If inevitable, within the first quarter of the semester)
A copy of return-to-school request (save and print) Fill out the application at MySNU website Discharged from military service Apply between the end of previous semester and before the beginning of following semester
(If inevitable, within the first quarter of the semester)
A copy of return-to-school request (save and print)
(Include a verification of military discharge or an abstract of resident registration)
Termination of military service Discharged from military service Notify us immediately after being discharged A copy of return-to-school / leave of absence request (save and print) (Include a verification of military discharge) Sent home during enlistment in military
- Procedure for returning to school
Log onto SNU homepage (SNU portal web site) → Leave of Absence / Returning to school → Fill out a request for returning to school and saveIf you are returning from military service: Print out a copy of return to school request → Submit to the director of your college along with supporting materials1. Supporting materials for those who are discharged from military after the first quarter of a semester
－ A verification of discharge arrangement, a recommendation letter from the affiliated commander, and a copy of furlough certificate
* This term applies only to those who are able to attend classes by having voluntary furloughs, and able to be immediately discharged thereafter without affecting school performance. You are still required to submit a return to school request before the end of the first quarter of the semester.
2. For those who are returning to school after the first quarter of the semester, we will only accept furlough certificates that have been approved at the time of submission